Use Zapier to combine Google Sheets with WhatsApp
Automate sending WhatsApp messages every time there is a new row in Google Sheets
If you don’t have a CRM or just like to organize your information in spreadsheets, you probably are an expert in Google Sheets (or at least you know the basics).
The collaborative nature of the cloud allows several agents to modify and add information at the same time.
Having information about your customers is worthless if you can’t use it in your strategies. So, to make the most out of your customers’ data, you want to send them personalized messages.
However, doing this manually is time-consuming and can lead to all kinds of mistakes. And, the thing is, you could invest this time in improving your conversational strategies.
As we have seen in our years of experience, this system causes:
Low-impact nurturing sequences
Increase in complaints about repetitive and untimely content
When you notice this, you start looking for solutions that allow you to automate messages and cut down on mistakes.
What if we told you that there is a way to get even more out of Google Sheets by connecting it to WhatsApp?
At WOZTELL we have a native integration with Zapier that will allow you to connect Google Sheets with WhatsApp Cloud API.
To understand how it works first, let’s take a look at the three tools you will use:
Zapier is a tool that allows you to connect different applications to automate repetitive tasks. These automations are called Zaps and are made up of one trigger and at least one action.
Learn more about Zapier here.
WOZTELL is a conversational platform that allows you to manage all the messages in one place.
Besides, you can integrate your CRM systems, manage the live chat, and create chatbots, to name a few features.
Learn more about WOZTELL here.
WhatsApp Cloud API is the most powerful version of WhatsApp. It is specially designed for companies of any size and it allows you to integrate all kinds of automations and functionalities.
Learn more about WhatsApp Cloud API here.
Imagine you have a spreadsheet to collect the information of the customers who approach your travel agency requesting information. To use this information, you want to send a WhatsApp message for them to manage all their travel options in a conversation.
If you use a zap to combine these tools, every time an agent adds a new register an automatic WhatsApp message will be sent.
This way, you can even send a message with a button that activates a chatbot that starts a conversation flow with the customer, to get to know him and offer a better service.
This integration will allow you to:
Automate the message sending
Avoid repetitive tasks
Not sending messages one-by-one
Offer better customer experiences to your customers
Creating a Zap is easier than you think:
- First of all, you need a Zapier and a WOZTELL account.
- Set up the connection between WOZTELL and Zapier. Here you can see how to do it.
- Click on Create and then New Zap.
- For the Trigger choose Google Sheets.
- On Event, choose New spreadsheet row.
- Choose your Gmail account. If you hadn’t connected it yet, you will have to log in.
- Choose the spreadsheet you want to use and click on Test Trigger to verify everything is working correctly
- Now let’s create the action. Choose WOZTELL from the application list.
- On Event choose Send WhatsApp Template Message.
- Choose your WOZTELL account.
- On Customer phone number choose the customer’s phone number by using the information you have on the spreadsheet.
- Choose the channel that you will use to send the message and the template* you want to send.
- If your template has variables, you must complete them on the Zap configuration.
- Click on Test action to verify everything is working correctly.
- Once everything is correct, activate the Zap and you have it! Every time you add a row to the spreadsheet a WhatsApp message will be sent automatically.
You can also use this Zap directly here:
*To start conversations you always have to use message templates. To learn how to create WhatsApp templates read this article.
Now let’s see some aspects you need to keep in mind.
For the Google Sheet document:
Phone numbers must be in international format.
The first row is the header. There you must write the column names. We recommend you freeze this row to avoid confusion.
There should be no empty rows in the middle of the document.
You can’t create different sections or headers in one sheet. If you need different categories, you can use different tabs and choose the one you need when creating the trigger.
The document and tab’s name can’t include punctuation marks.
Do not include equations or filters.
If you need to edit the information in a row, first turn off the zap, edit the information, and turn it on again.
Keep in mind the zap checks the document every 5 to 15 minutes and carries out the action whether you completed the information or not.
If you want to know more about how to use Google Sheets in Zapier and how to avoid mistakes, here you have more information.
Remember: you need your users’ opt-in to be able to send them messages.
This is why solutions such as Zapier have emerged, which are designed to automate and get the most out of all types of applications.